15G CARB PER SERVE
Prep: 25 minutes | Cook: nil
The CSIRO Low-Carb Diet
Images and recipes from The CSIRO Low-Carb Diet by Associate Professor Grant Brinkworth and Pennie Taylor.
Available now, Macmillan Australia
220 g low-fat cottage cheese
400 g tinned salmon, drained, skin and bones removed, flesh flaked
40 g pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
finely grated zest of ½ lemon
4 large Lebanese cucumbers (170 g each) or 2 telegraph cucumbers, ends trimmed, if desired
2 x 35 g slices mixed grain bread
300 g mixed salad leaves
300 g cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
80 g avocado, sliced or diced
• Place the cottage cheese, salmon, pecans, basil and lemon zest in a bowl, season with freshly ground black pepper and stir to combine.
• If desired, peel strips of skin from the cucumbers, leaving some skin intact, then cut a thin slice lengthways from one side to form a stable base, if necessary. Cut the cucumbers in half lengthways, then, using a teaspoon, scrape out the seeds, leaving at least a 5 mm thick layer of the flesh intact, to form a hollow. (If using telegraph cucumbers, cut them in half widthways first.)
• Toast the bread and cut into quarters, then into small cubes.
• Divide the salmon mixture evenly among half of the hollowed cucumber lengths, then top with the remaining cucumber lengths to form ‘sandwiches’. (Alternatively, divide the filling among the hollowed cucumber pieces and serve as open ‘sandwiches’.)
• Place the salad leaves and tomato in a bowl, then drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice and toss to coat.
• Arrange the cucumber ‘sandwiches’, salad, toasted bread cubes and avocado on a large serving platter. Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve.
UNITS PER SERVE
Lean meat, fish, poultry, eggs, tofu 1
Breads, cereals, legumes, starchy vegetables 0.5
Low-carb vegetables 2
Healthy fats 3
WEEKS 7–12 CARB EXTRA
For an extra 10 g carbs per serve, add 320 g (80 g per person) drained tinned lentils or 120 g (40 g per person) cooked corn kernels to the salad before dressing.