Whether you’re renovating or building from scratch, no doubt you have a vision of the end product. Find out how these locals brought their dream homes to life.
Rohan and Louise
Driving by their house block each week and seeing each stage of their new home being completed was a thrill for first-time home builders Rohan and Louise Wotherspoon. “We had mixed emotions of excitement and nervousness, hoping what we’d envisioned would be brought to life in the end result,” Rohan says. “We had a lot of fun selecting our colours and flooring with the guidance of an interior designer too.”
The couple wanted a separate media room where they could block everything out and watch movies, minus the distraction of an open-plan layout. They also wanted a luxe main bedroom and ensuite that would be a future selling point of the house.
“We had a final walk-through a week prior so all the excitement happened then,” Louise says. “It felt surreal. It took a while for it to sink in that it was actually ‘our’ house. We felt proud of our builder (Bauer Constructions) and ourselves for being able to achieve something we’d dreamed of for a couple of years when saving towards a deposit.”
Our 5 top tips for home builders
1. Be realistic with your initial budget as there will be optional extras you’ll want to include.
2. Measure your furniture and make sure everything will fit in each room.
3. Consider resale values in case one day you decide to move on and sell or rent the property.
4. Do your research on home loans. Ask plenty of questions. You’re not expected to know everything at first.
5. When looking at display homes, question what’s included and what are optional extras.